Evening all !! It is a hot & muggy evening here in Brisvegas. I’ve just gotten back from a powerwalk as it was far too hot to do anything outside of AC today. (& I don’t much like working out in AC for some strange reason.).
I haven’t really been too on the ball with my fitness blogging since Dad went Home, so to give you a super quick run down.. I dropped the ball slightly in the emotional months of saying goodbye to Dad. I didn’t start to eat bad or anything like that, but I did let the workouts slide far more than I should have and as a result, pretty much ended up back where I was in the beginning of 2016 when starting with my PT.
I’ve been a fairly healthy eater & cook ever since making that conscious decision to REALLY show respect for the temple at the beginning of 2016, so it was just a matter of getting serious again, getting motivated to see change.. and getting in the headspace where it was a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet.
My PT became investigating and then being a consultant for a fruit & veg supplement company. A really quick summary for this company is that they are a supplement, taken in capsule or shake form. I was really keen to see some improvements within myself similar to all the testimonies I’d read and listened to from other users. After praying about it (as it’s a BIG financial investment at $120 per month), I decided to give it a go for the 4months (this is the supply size you receive each time.).
While I did see some fantastic change, it was hard to put it down to these caps alone as in the month prior to starting on them, I’d really upped the ante on eating solely wholefoods, little to no dairy, gluten.. and very very little (if any) processed sugars. Sidenote, in my opinion, the BEST element of the their ‘brand’ is the community support and the recipes they provide. They are seriously second to none. So much variety, so easy to prepare.. .and versatile, which makes them great to suit cooking for just me.. or cooking for the entire family & beyond. You also get ongoing continued support from the person you signed up with, so this is an added incentive.
When the 4months was coming towards its end, I had some real decisions to make as the financial commitment was, when being realistic, not achievable for me long term. I’d sacrificed things I shouldn’t have in order to buy the first 4months. The recommended dosage for the product is 2 of each capsule per day.. 2 fruit, 2 veg & 2 berry capsules. When I reached the conclusion that I really couldn’t continue with the cost, I dropped down to just one capsule of each per day. I did this for two reasons… one, the obvious one, so that it would last longer…. the second was because I simply couldn’t shift the thinking that while previously I had had no supplement in my diet, surely even one capsule of each has to be of benefit to my health. So, that’s what I did.
The thing was though, even though I didn’t have any mind blowing fantastic testimony to scream from the rooftops, I was pleased with how I felt. My skin had a glow to it that wasn’t there previously and I, in general, felt better in myself. So, with all this in mind, I had to find a more affordable alternative. I began to research and after a few weeks, came across a product called Juice Festive. They supply a Fruit & Veg supplement in capsule form and the cost is $54 for 4months supply. Now, to be fair, bear in mind that they only have the fruit & veg caps, not the berry, so that needs to be factored in when comparing the price etc, but still…. it’s a LOT more affordable. Juice Festive also recommends 2 caps per day, but I did the same thing as I ended up doing with the former product, and I just take the one of each per day. (and it’s at this rate that I come to that cost.)
I’ve now been on the JF caps for just over 2months and I honestly don’t have a complaint at all. My skin still has that really healthy glow, and I still feel fantastic. I’ve also sourced Acai Berry caps (quite inexpensive at $41.40 for 4months supply) which I pop in my smoothie each morning, but I recently found Acai powder at Aldi … 100g for $6.99. I figure that would give me approx 40 serves, which is still quite cheap. This works out to be approx $21 for a 4month supply.
If I haven’t bored you all to tears so far, just hang on for the grand total financial outlay for both the Juice Festive & the Acai powder…… drum roll….. $72 for a 4month supply, against the $240 of the first product (when only taking 1 cap of each per day.). (2nd sidenote – I am so NOT bagging out the original product here, in anyway whatsoever. If you can afford it, go your hardest, as they have oodles and oodles of scientific studies etc etc that may make people far more confident to use that product, but I just wanted to share this financial comparison, as in reality, not everyone can afford the more expensive product.)
And to show the health benefits of upping your wholefoods intake, adding the supplements and keeping active, the scales now read 12kgs less than they did in September 2017. When I began this full on conscious journey towards the healthiest temple possible, I told those close to me that I wanted to lose 10kgs (it was actually 20kgs, but I knew they’d all freak out if I said that..lol). Anyway, most said “There’ll be nothing left of you after 10kgs.”… well, you can clearly see I don’t look gaunt. I will most likely be pleased with another 5kgs, but the thing is, it’s not about the number. I know my own body and that I still have excess weight in areas that I shouldn’t, so it’ll come down to that, as opposed to the number on the scales. If that number is 1kg, 5kgs or 10kgs down, it doesn’t matter… as long as I have a healthy body !!
Throughout my supplement journey, I’ve also learnt about, researched and taken on some additional changes in my diet. I began to read up about the benefits of Hemp seeds & oil. The health benefits are amazing, so I now include a teaspoon of that in my brekky smoothie.
The bottom line on hemp goodness – Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a great protein source and contain high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
I also started to hear a lot about Maca Powder. (When you join a community of health conscious people, you pick up a few things.. ha ha). Maca root is a good source of carbs and protein, is low in fat and contains a fair amount of fiber. It’s also high in some essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, copper and iron. Furthermore, it contains various plant compounds, including glucosinolates and polyphenols.
Here are some of the things I might include in my brekky smoothie in addition to one of, or some of the following fruit… frozen banana, mango, grapefruit, berries, apple, pear etc. (in case you’re wondering, both Turmeric & Ginger are amazing superfoods to include in your diet where you can.)
Some Fun facts on ginger –
- It is high in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Ginger appears to be effective at reducing the day-to-day progression of muscle pain, and may reduce exercise-induced muscle soreness.
- There are some studies showing ginger to be effective at reducing symptoms of osteoarthritis, which is a very common health problem.
- Ginger has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and improve various heart disease risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Ginger appears to speed up emptying of the stomach, which can be beneficial for people with indigestion and related stomach discomfort.
- Ginger appears to be very effective against menstrual pain when taken at the beginning of the menstrual period. (Now, THIS one is very significant for me as those that know me well, know that I suffer bigtime in this area and always have. I have consciously been adding ginger to my shakes EVERY day for the last month and am now on day 3 of a PAIN FREE PERIOD!!!!!! Yes, feel free to cheer loudly !!)
- There is some evidence that ginger can lead to significant reductions in LDL cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels.
- Studies suggest that ginger can protect against age-related damage to the brain. It can also improve brain function in elderly women.
Some Fun facts on Turmeric –
- Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Most studies used turmeric extracts that are standardized to include large amounts of curcumin.
- Curcumin has powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals on its own, then stimulates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
- Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It improves the function of the endothelium and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant.
- Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
- Curcumin can cross the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
- A study in 60 depressed patients showed that curcumin was as effective as prozac in alleviating the symptoms of depression.
Ok.. enough with the facts already !!! 🤣
I so so often… as in at least a few times per day, am blown away with the amount of self control and the level of dedication to ‘staying on track’ that I have had since September. I am constantly thanking my Lord & Saviour for giving me this strength, as I know (by the fact that I haven’t achieved it before) that it’s in HIS strength and not mine that I’m achieving this. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’ve lost weight before, but it was pretty much all about the number on the scales. I would eat healthier of course, but it was done in order to achieve a goal, as opposed to actually wanting my body to be healthier long term.
It doesn’t take a genius to work out why I’ve yo-yo’d with this mindset. I’d have something in the future… a wedding to attend, my 40th, a cruise etc etc etc… and I’d achieve great things for that event, but the momentum would wane afterwards. The level of ‘waneing’ could be anywhere from slightly less on track, to falling off the wagon all-together and kicking that thing down the hill. 🤣
When the mindset shifted to wanting my WHOLE self healthier.. that means emotionally too, a lot of great things fell into place.. and set like concrete. It can actually be frustrating at times, as I really can’t eat unhealthy even if I want to. My body clearly loves to be fueled with wholefoods and organic products (when the organic variety is affordable.)
I really love being active.. and get pretty antsy if I can’t get some exercise in each day. A dear friend has been checking on me, with some concern that it was becoming an issue that controlled me.. but Praise the Lord it really isn’t. It’s such a source of enjoyment for me.. and it really is such a big part of my everyday routine now.
I’m heading off to bed now as I’m being collected at 5.40am (ouch) to be apart of the Fun Run for Breast Cancer !! I’m pretty excited to be apart of it as it’s my first one other than Walk to Cure Diabetes. ❤️ . It’s pretty cool to get your exercise in for the day, while raising money for a fantastic cause at the same time !! The time with girlfriends will be great too….. remember, the importance of emotional health too !!